For the news and views you might have missed
Educators in West Des Moines, Iowa have initiated a sign-on Professional Educator’s Creed.
It goes as follows:
As a professional educator, I believe that education is a noble profession with the power to transform lives and empower human beings to thrive and improve our democratic society and diverse, changing world. I help change the world and create our future. I understand the unique privilege and accept the great responsibility that comes with this charge. To the best of my ability, I will…
• Act on the belief that all students are unique, have worth, and can improve their lives and their world.
• Support and protect the right of every student to a free, quality, public education with meaningful and equitable opportunities to learn.
• Provide an education directed toward the development of the dimensions of human potential and personality.
• Educate with the understanding that public education is the cornerstone of a free and functioning democratic society.
• Provide rich, meaningful, engaging, and challenging experiences that empower the whole person to think, communicate, and interact so they can improve their lives and the lives of others.
• Create caring, supported, and democratic learning communities that ensure the rights of all students are respected, including those who lack the means to make their needs known.
• Provide an education that strengthens respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms of all human beings.
• Eliminate ignorance and further understanding and caring.
• Advocate for the well-being of students and families.
• Collaborate constructively with colleagues to improve the craft of educating and to build the learning communities that benefit the growth and development of all.
• Collaborate with our school communities and others to inform and shape healthy deliberations about the future of our schools.
• Actively resist and work to change policies and practices that devalue or harm students, the education profession, or public education.
• Exercise my professional judgment independently to benefit students.
• Never cease seeking further education for my continual growth.