*To understand how KIPP is different from Lakeside, where Bill Gates attended school, see Bill Gates tells us why *his* high school was a great learning environment.
The KIPP Charter Chain
I have been filing links regarding KIPP for the last few years and decided to post them now as an archive.
When the charter school initiative was pushed by Gates and the Walton’s, KIPP was one of the names bandied about as an example of what a charter school should look like.
Unfortunately, Alice Walton and Bil Gates never looked past the “data” to see that students with disabilities, students who did not know English very well, if at all, and students who displayed behavioral problems in the classroom, were kicked back into public schools, therefore the “miracle” of higher test scores and high graduation rates. Instead Gates and Walton poured millions of dollars in the state of Washington to pay for ad campaigns, as any corporation would, to get what they wanted.
What we have now is the attempted corporate takeover of our public schools. The initiative passed but it is now in the state court with plaintiffs questioning the constitutionality of charter schools in our state.
To follow is the truth about KIPP schools, and charter schools in general:
From Seattle Education posts:
From other sources:
- KIPP Memphis Flagship School 17th Lowest Scorer in the State After 13 Years
- “At KIPP, I would wake up sick, every single day”
- Bay Area KIPP schools lose 60% of their students, study confirms
- Bronx charter school spent thousands on staff retreats, audit shows
- Charter school faces withdrawals over punishment
- Comptroller Di Napoli and Harry Wilson: where do they stand on fiscal oversight of charter schools and DOE?
- Documented KIPP Abuser to Speak Sunday at TFA Conference: “Bringing the ‘Joy Factor’ to Your School”
- In Houston, Diane Ravitch challenges school reformers face to face
- Is Choice a Panacea? An Analysis of Black Secondary Student Attrition from KIPP, Other Private Charters, and Urban Districts
- KIPP Board of Directors (see any educators?)
- KIPPsters vs. Hipsters: Why so little choice in Downtown schools?
- MIT Publication: Who Benefits from KIPP?
- Myths and realities about KIPP
- New Jacksonville KIPP charter scores at bottom in FCAT
- New KIPP Study Underestimates Attrition Effects
- On the Wal-Mart Money Trail
- Penn school special education teacher hits KIPP hypocrisy on special education children
- Recess: Happy playtime or hellhole of fighting and bullying?
- Study Finds High Dropout Rates for Black Males in KIPP Schools
- The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation Awards $23.3 Million to Grow Quality Public Charter Schools in Los Angeles
- The KULT of KIPP
- What Makes KIPP work
- Why I don’t believe in “reform”
- Why most charter schools should be called private schools, not public schools