Diane Ravitch is a Research Professor of Education at New York University and a historian of education.
From 1991 to 1993, she was Assistant Secretary of Education and Counselor to Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander in the administration of President George H.W. Bush. She was responsible for the Office of Educational Research and Improvement in the U.S. Department of Education.
Dr. Ravitch has written the following books:
- Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America’s Public Schools (2014)
- The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education (2010)
- Edspeak: A Glossary of Education Terms, Phrases, Buzzwords, and Jargon (2007)
- The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn (2003)
- Left Back: A Century of Battles Over School Reform (2000)
- National Standards in American Education: A Citizen’s Guide (1995)
- What Do Our 17-Year-Olds Know? (with Chester Finn, Jr.) 
- The Schools We Deserve (1985)
- The Troubled Crusade: American Education, 1945–1980 (1983)
- The Revisionists Revised (1978)
- The Great School Wars: New York City, 1805–1973 (1974)
Diane Ravitch’s Blog is dianeravitch.net.
To follow is a recent conversation she had with Chris Hedges.